A perfect noodle soup to warm you up this Holiday Season. The savory broth with ginger is great for soothing sore throats or warming up on cool nights. If you prefer, you can make it with chicken instead of shrimp.
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 baby Chinese cabbage separating the white and green pieces
- 1 large carrot – peeled and sliced very thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 4 c. vegetable or broth
- 2 c. water
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 4 oz pad thai rice noodles (1/2 package)
- 1 lb. small raw shrimp, peeled (51-60/pound)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- Heat sesame oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and ginger, and saute one minute longer.
- Add white pieces of Chinese cabbage and carrots, saute for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, water, soy sauce, and fish sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Add uncooked noodles, and cook 2 minutes, separating noodles as they cook. Stir in shrimp, green onions, and green pieces of Chinese cabbage. Cook 2-3 minutes longer.
- Turn off heat, stir in rice vinegar, and serve immediately.