Next time you’re in the mood for Japanese, try this quick and easy-to-follow sukiyaki recipe. Beef and vegetables are steamed in a sweet-savory broth and served over steaming bowls of white rice. Ingredients have been adjusted to conform to a renal diet plan.
Makes 10 servings
- 1 ½ pounds lean beef chuck, cut into thin slices
- 1 cup white turnip, sliced about 1/8-inch thick
- ½ cup celery, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced about 1/8-inch thick
- 3 medium scallions, cut thinly
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into rings
- ¾ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cub cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 5 cups cooked white rice
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add meat and lightly brown on all sides.
- Turn the heat down to simmer. Add vegetables in layers following the recipe ingredient list.
- Combine water, sugar and soy sauce. ; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and steam over moderate heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not stir.
- Serve with steaming white rice.
Nutrients per serving
Serving size: 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup meat and vegetables