Can healthy meals be fast and easy? Definitely! Try this Herbed Chickpea Stew recipe. Chickpeas or garbanzo beans are a healthy, low-fat source of protein and fiber. They also help in controlling blood sugar levels.
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 head garlic, minced
• pinch of salt and pepper
• 3 cups diced fresh tomatoes
• 1 1/2 teaspoons mild paprika powder
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup cooked canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
• 3/4 cup finely chopped basil leaves
• Put olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Sauté garlic with pinch of salt and pepper for 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly golden. Stir in diced tomatoes (no need to remove the seeds) and paprika; cook partially covered, until softened.
• If the pan dries up, add 1 cup water. Mix in chickpeas and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes. Adjust salt and pepper accordingly. Put basil and turn off the heat.
Best Served with couscous or French bread! You can also add shrimp, chicken or choice of other veggies.