Macaroni and cheese with 5 cheeses, in just 15 minutes on the stove top, made extra creamy with a touch of sour cream … and topped with crumbled bacon. Wonderful!
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded smoked Gouda
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded Gruyere
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) shredded Asiago
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded yellow extra-sharp Cheddar
- 2 cup (8 oz.) shredded white sharp Cheddar
- 1 lb. gemelli or other pasta twists, cooked
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the flour and mustard and stir with a wooden spoon or whisk until a thick paste forms, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and bring mixture to a simmer, stirring until the sauce becomes thick.
- Add the Gouda, Gruyere, Asiago, yellow Cheddar, and white Cheddar, stirring the cheeses until melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the cooked pasta and stir well to combine. Stir in the sour cream, salt, and white pepper and cook until the ingredients are combined and hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Crumble bacon on top, if using.
- Serve immediately.