This is called “fruit fritter”. Various fruits are dipped into a fritter batter and deep-fried to brown puffiness. You may choose slices of any fruit available: apples, bananas, pears, peaches, papaya, and ripe mangoes. Served with liqueur or vanilla sauce, it always seems to be a welcome warm dessert.
• 2 cups Assorted fruits, your own choice. Used in this recipe: bananas, apples and mangoes, sliced
• 3/4 cup flour
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1 tablespoon melted butter
• 1/4 cup warm water
• 2 tablespoon Cognac
• pinch of salt
• 1 egg yolk, beaten
• 1 egg white, stiffly beaten
• oil for frying
• confectioners’ sugar or cinnamon powder (optional)
• marmalade, vanilla sauce or vanilla ice cream (optional)
1.) Marinate the sliced fruits in wine. Chill for about 2 to 5 minutes.
2.) In a bowl sift together the flour and sugar. Stir in melted butter and water. Mix until blended. Stir cognac, salt and egg yolk. Just before using the batter, gold in egg white. The mixture must resemble thick cream.
3.) Dip the sliced marinated fruits in the flour mixture. In a frying pan or large skillet, heat oil. Deep-fry fruit pieces in the oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar or cinnamon powder.
Serve fresh and hot with vanilla ice cream or your choice of sidings.