Enjoy this classic favorite with fewer calories. The luscious filling is made of light cream cheese, light whipped cream and maraschino cherries.
Makes: 10 servings
- 1/3 cup flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus more for dusting
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar*
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon sugar-free hot fudge ice cream topping,
- 10 maraschino cherries, drained and patted dry
Cherry cream filling
- ½ cup tub-style light cream cheese
- 1 cup frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed
- 2/3 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Generously grease a 15x10x1-inch baking pan then line its bottom with parchment paper. Grease and lightly flour the parchment. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cocoa and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer on high for 5 minutes. Gradually beat in the sugar; continue beating until it becomes thick and lemon colored.
- Fold in the flour mixture in the egg mixture. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Pop into the oven and back for 15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Take pan out of oven and immediately loosen its edges from the pan. Turn cake out unto a towel sprinkled with unsweetened cocoa powder. Slowly peel off the parchment paper. Starting from a short side, roll up the cake and towel into a log. Cool on a wire rack for an hour.
- Prepare cherry cream filling.
- Unroll the cake and remove the towel. Spread cake with cherry cream filling to within an inch from its edges. Roll up cake and filling and trim off edges. Cover cake and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- Drizzle the whole cake with ice cream topping and garnish with cherries before serving.
Cherry Cream filling
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add ½ cup dessert topping, beating on low speed until just combined. Fold in another ½ cup of dessert topping. Then fold in chopped maraschino cherries.
*sugar substitute: follow package instructions to use product amount equivalent to ¾ cup sugar.
Nutrients per serving
Serving size: 1 slice
calories 177 154 (with sugar substitute)
total fat 5g
saturated fat 3g
carbohydrates 30 22 (with sugar substitute)