Chicken Pastel or Pastel de Pollo in Spanish and Chicken Pot Pie in English usually made out of chicken with a thick white sauce made out of cream or milk. This dish is usually baked where in the chicken stew is encased in a pie crust or similar pastry.
For the Filling:
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 kilo chicken, cut in pieces (You can also choose your favorite part of the chicken)
- 1 can (14 ounces) sliced Vienna sausage
- 1 diced carrot
- 1 up mushrooms, cut in half 1/2 cup sweet peas
- 1 minced onion
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups chicken stock (broth)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1 sliced in strips green bell pepper
- 3 diced potatoes
For the Crust:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup corn oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup of water
- In a large bowl, marinate chicken together with lemon juice and soy sauce for at least an hour.
- Heat skillet in a medium heat, melt margarine and brown chicken, set aside.
- Sauté minced onion, bell pepper and mushrooms then add chicken broth and simmer it for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, sweet peas, sausages, grated cheese and milk. Continue cooking for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Transfer to a baking dish preferably a circle one.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a bowl, combine the flour, salt, cold water and oil. Mix into a ball.
- On a flat surface, roll flat the pastry and cover the chicken pastel mixture and seal the sides by pressing on the edges.
- Remove excess pastry.
- Punch small holes on the pastry to let out steam during baking then brush with a beaten egg.
- Bake until golden brown for about 15 minutes.
This dish is usually made out of chicken but you can also try it with different types of meat such as pigeon, rabbit and duck together with different vegetables like carrots, mushrooms, olives and celery.