Get your dose of coffee with this Choco-coffee marble cake. You’ll love how the coffee drizzle keeps this classic teatime treat moist and extra decadent.
Makes 16 servings
- 2 ½ cups sifted cake flour
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar*
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk or sour fat-free milk**
- 1 ½ cups canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso coffee powder or instant coffee powder
- 2 teaspoons powder sugar and/or unsweetened cocoa
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon light-color corn syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons espresso or strong brewed coffee, cooled
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease and lightly flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan. Set aside.
- Set aside ½ cup of the flour, then combine the remaining cake flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sugar, eggs, canola oil and vanilla. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, beating with a wire Wisk just until combined. .
- Combine cocoa powder and espresso powder in a small bowl. Add half of the batter, stirring until smooth.
- Add the reserved ½ cup flour to the remaining batter, whisking just until combined.
- Spoon evenly half of the white batter into the prepared pan. Then carefully spoon the chocolate batter atop the white batter and spread it evenly. Repeat layers with the remaining white and chocolate batter.
- Bake cake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan and put on wire rack set over a sheet of wax paper.
- Using long wooden skewers poke cake all the way through to the bottom in several places. Carefully pour coffee drizzle evenly over top of cake. Cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and/or cocoa powder.
- Stir together powdered sugar and corn syrup in a small bowl.
- Stir in enough cooled espresso or strong brewed coffee until you get a drizzling consistency.
*sugar substitute: follow package instructions to use product equivalent to 1 ¼ cup sugar.
**to make 1 ¼ cups sour milk, place 4 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough fat-free milk to make 1 ¼ cups total liquid. Stir and let it stand for 5 minutes before using.
Nutrients per serving
Serving size: 1 slice
calories 206 177 (with sugar substitute)
total fat 7g
saturated fat 1g
carbohydrates 32 24 (with sugar substitute)