Feathery, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate meringue minus the calories.
Makes about 2 ½ dozen cookies
- ½ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon vanilla or ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ cup ground almonds
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and cover it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the sugar with ground almonds, coca and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- In a glass bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat on high until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar and vanilla (or almond extract). Beat until stiff and shiny. Gently fold cocoa mixture into the meringue
- Drop a teaspoon of the cookie mixture onto the baking sheet to form little mounds. Take care to leave about 2 inches of space between each mound.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Cookies should be dry and slightly browned. Let cool and store in a tightly covered container.
Nutrients per serving
Serving size: 1 meringue cookie
starch 1 1/4