Sink in your teeth into this luscious chocolate ganache-covered cake. Bananas helps to make this moist and sweet even without sugar, while whole wheat flour makes it a hearty dessert option.
Makes: 16 servings
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar*
- ½ cup packed brown sugar*
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup fat-free milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup fat-free half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan. Set aside.
- Combine the flours, granulated and brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl, stir together the milk, eggs, mashed banana, vanilla and canola oil.
- Add egg mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for about 2 minutes. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Smooth evenly.
- Bake cake for 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean when inserted. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine chocolate and half-and-half in a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on medium heat for 1 minute. Let it stand for 5 minutes, then stir until completely smooth. Let it stand again to thicken slightly
- Spoon evenly atop cooled cake.
*sugar substitute: follow package instructions to measure product equivalent of ½ cup sugar
Nutrients per serving
Serving size: 1 slice
calories 197 177 (with sugar substitute)
total fat 5g
saturated fat 1g
sodium 177g 175mg (with sugar substitute)
carbohydrates 34g 27g (with sugar substitute)
sugars 17g 10g (with sugar substitute)