Have a taste of Southeast Asian cuisine with this hefty dish. Wonderful flavors of curry, coconut, ginger and lime combined all in one.
– 1 kilo stewing beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
– 1/2 (thumb-size) piece ginger, sliced
– 1/2 (thumb-size) piece blue ginger (galangal), sliced
– 6 cloves garlic, chopped
– 2 medium red onions, chopped
– 3 bird’s eye chillies, chopped
– 6 kaffir lime leaves, sliced
– 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped finely
– 1 cup desiccated coconut
– 4 tablespoons curry powder
– 1 beef bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup boiling water
– 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 tablespoon soy sauce
– 1 cup coconut cream
– salt and pepper, to season
1. Place oil, onion, chillies, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, galangal in a food processor; blend to paste. Set aside.
2. In a pan slightly toast desiccated coconut over a medium heat, about 2 to 3 minutes. Place in a food processor; grind to powder; set aside.
3. Fry spice paste and lime leaves in a pan or wok, stirring continuously, for 3 minutes or until very fragrant.
4. Add in beef, coconut, curry powder, beef stock, soy sauce and coconut cream. Bring to a boil, then lower heat; simmer for 1 to 2 hours until the meat gets tender and sauce thickens. Stirring regularly to prevent beef from sticking to the pan. Add water to adjust consistency of the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve in a large bowl with naan bread or hot rice. Garnish with chillies or chopped lemongrass.
This dish also works well with fish, chicken, and lamb. Happy eating!