This easy, no-fuss, low-calorie recipe is so tasty, you won’t believe it’s good for you. Garlicky mushrooms and savory bacon tidbits perfectly compliment the halibut and polenta. Serve with steamed green beans tossed in olive oil, mustard and a squeeze of lemon for added color and nutrients.
- 4 5-ounce skinned halibut or cod fillets
- 4 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil, sliced
- 1 14- to 18-ounce tube prepared polenta, sliced into 8 pieces
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut off 4 pieces of parchment paper or foil, each measuring 12” x 24” each. If using foil, coat each with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until tender or turns light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add mushrooms and cook until lightly brown or about 4 to 7 minutes. Add wine and scrape up any brown bits. Remove from heat.
- To make the packets, lay a piece of parchment (or foil) with one of the long sides close to you. Fold the parchment in half from a short end, and then open it like a book. Place two slices of polenta on one side. Set a fillet on the polenta and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Divide the mushroom mixture among the packets, scooping it over the fish fillet. Close and seal the packets by tightly folding the ends.
- Place the packets in a large baking sheet and bake for 14 minutes or until fish is cooked through. You can check for doneness by carefully opening a packet. Be careful of the steam though.
- Place each packet on its plate. Cut an X in the parchment and carefully fold open Garnish with fresh basil and serve.