This dish is predominantly Chinese in origin. The Chinese rice wine in the marinade complements the sweet and spicy tang of the sauce.
• 8 chicken thighs, deboned
• 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
• 1/3 cup soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 3 tablespoons rice wine
• 1 knob ginger, minced
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 red onion, minced
• dash of hot pepper sauce or chili sauce
• green onions chopped thinly, for garnish
* Clean chicken thighs well and boil in enough water to cover until thoroughly cooked. Drain chicken and set aside.
* In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil, soy sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar and rice wine. Add chicken to the mixture and coat thoroughly.
* In a nonstick pan, heat remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil to high. Add chicken and cooked for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the sauce slightly thicken and brown. Remove chicken from pan.
* In the same pan, sauté ginger, garlic, and onion until fragrant. Return chicken and add hot sauce (desired amount). Heat through.
* Chopped chicken into strips and place on top of steamed rice. Sprinkle with green onions.