Our body needs a complete healthy meal in a day. This dish is rightly made for you. A savory-sweet Korean style braised beef perfect for a yummy meal to bring for work or bring to school meal everyone loves.
750 g beef short-ribs, cut into cubes
60 grams white sugar
180 ml soy sauce
60 ml oyster sauce
30 ml sesame oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
4 pcs Chinese mushroom, dried, soaked in water, sliced
(reserve water from soaking)
600 ml water
1/2 can water chestnuts, drained
2 tsps toasted sesame seeds
2 tbsps chopped scallions or spring onions
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
• Marinate beef in sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and oyster sauce for at least an hour or overnight.
• Pour off marinade from beef pieces and reserve.
• In a wok, sear meat pieces on all sides. Add water, marinade and liquid from mushrooms. Bring to a boil then lower flame to simmer and cook covered for an hour or until beef is tender.
• Remove cover and add mushrooms and water chestnuts.
• Cook for another 30 minutes until liquid is reduced to about 1/3. Season with salt and pepper.
• Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions. Serve with steamed rice or mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable sides. Bon Apetit!