This lemon custard tart is perfect to serve at tea parties or any occasions as a pastry dessert. Made extra special for your loved ones. Creamy, sweet and tangy taste in one pastry treat.
Sugar crust pastry
1/2 cup butter
1 cup icing sugar
1 small egg
3 drops of vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice, adjust according to taste
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* For the tart pastry: In a mixer bowl, cream butter. Fold in icing sugar, mix until granular. Mix in egg and vanilla extract. Using a spatula, fold in flour without over mixing. Wrap dough. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes or so.
* Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter tart molds.
* Remove dough from refrigerator. Roll out the dough. Flour a clean, even surface. Shape dough into a ball. With a rolling pin, gently flatten dough. Lightly flour the dough so it won’t stick. Roll out dough to a 1/8 inch thickness.
* Place dough into the tart molds, cut excess dough. Refrigerate for about 10 minutes to set. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or so. Set aside.
* For the lemon custard: In a saucepan, heat milk and sugar. Add in lemon zest and juice. Set aside
* In a bowl, whip egg yolks and cornstarch. Dilute in 1/3 cup hot milk mixture. Set aside.
* Boil remaining sweetened milk. Beat into egg yolk mixture.Pour into saucepan. Cook 1 minute or so, whisking vigorously.
* Turn off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla until creamy and smooth. Let it cool until lukewarm.
* Pour custard mixture into prepared tart pastry. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!