These pancakes have it all from the large chunks of strawberries to ricotta to keep them nice and moist, lemon to keep them nice and bright and fresh and even some poppy seeds to boot! Honey is used as the sweetener rather than sugar and it pairs fabulously well with the lemon and strawberries!
For the Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup sugar
For the Pancakes:
- 1 cup strawberries, diced 1/4 inch
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup honey or sugar
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- Put together the water, strawberries and sugar to boil using a sauce pan, bring heat to low and let it simmer until it thickens a bit and reduces by half, strain it and let it cool.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt and mix it into the mixture of the buttermilk, egg, honey, ricotta, lemon zest, juice and poppy seeds before mixing in the strawberries.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, add the batter 1/2 cup at a time forming circular pancakes, cook until bubble form on the top, about 2-4 minutes, flip and cook until lightly golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 421, Fat 5.8g (Saturated 2.4g, Trans 0),Cholesterol 59mg, Sodium 274mg, Carbs 83.4g (Fiber 2.8g, Sugars 48.8g),Protein 12.1g