Indulge yourself with this sweet temptation. A light and good dessert to serve right after your meal. Baked meringues with fresh pomegranate fruit and chopped pistachio.
1/2 cup egg whites
2/3 cup refined sugar
1/2 cup icing sugar
Pinch of cream of tartar
2 drops of vanilla extract
4 tablespoons raw honey
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1/4 cup pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
* Preheat oven to 250°F.
* For the toppings: In a small bowl, mix and blend raw honey and lemon juice. Add in pomegranate seeds. Refrigerate until ready to use.
* In a large bowl, mix egg whites, refined sugar, icing sugar, cream of tartar and vanilla extract. (Make sure that no particles of egg yolk remain in whites and the bowl is clean and dry). Using an electric beater, beat at maximum speed for 3-5 minutes or until meringue rises and reaches soft peaks form.
* Add vanilla extract at low speed, mixed 7 minutes or until meringue is glossy, smooth and stiff.
* Form into cups, spiral, rosettes or your desired shapes using a pastry bag or ziplock bag and cut a small opening at the tip. Place on a tray with baking sheets. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Let it cool fully.
* Garnish with the prepared honey pomegranate and top with chopped pistachios.
You can also use other fruits as toppings. For another variation: Add a few drops of food coloring, if desired.