The vibrant color of this smoothie is not just appealing to the eyes but to your taste buds and to your health as well.
Beets have grown in popularity as a superfood because of the purported health benefits that it brings. This root vegetable is a rich source of dietary nitrate, which research shows to help lower blood pressure, slows the progression of dementia by increasing the blood flow to the brain, as well as increasing athletic performance and exercise tolerance by increasing muscle oxygenation.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 60 grams frozen or fresh raspberries
- 150 grams cooked beetroot, chopped
- 225 grams low-fat plain yogurt
- 250ml chilled cranberry juice
- Frozen raspberries, for garnishing
- In a blender or food processor, combine the beetroot, raspberries and cranberry juice. Blend together on the highest speed until a smooth puree is formed.
- Pass the puree through a strainer into a large jug, then whisk in most of the yogurt.
- Pour into chilled glasses and top with the remaining yogurt. Garnish with frozen raspberries. Serve immediately.