Enjoy this light, fresh salad packed with heart-healthy ingredients from the salad dressing down to the last green leaf.
Spinach is rich in anti-oxidants and soluble fiber, nutrients that are associated with foods that help prevent heart disease. This dark green vegetable is also rich in folate, which helps to lower homocysteine levels. Homocysteine is an amino acid acquired mostly from eating meat. High homocysteine levels are linked with the early development of heart and blood vessel disease.
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 100 grams baby spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup crumbled or sliced blue cheese
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and sliced
- Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, yogurt, maple syrup and nutmeg in a blender or processor.
- Toss spinach with dressing and mound a generous amount on chilled plates.
- Layer cherry tomatoes, sliced bacon, walnuts and blue cheese on top of spinach. Serve.