Easy to follow tips when steaming your favorite dish:
• Pour about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of water into a skillet or saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Then place a steaming rack over, but not touching the water.
• The food can be put on the rack either before or after it is set in the pan. Adjust the heat to keep the water boiling vigorously; cover the pan so that it fills with steam.
• Check the water level occasionally during cooking. If necessary, add more boiling water. Cook food until it is just done: vegetables should be crisp-tender, fish flaky, and chicken moist but not pink.
• The steaming rack can be a metal steamer basket, a bamboo rack, or a special double-boiler saucepan with a perforated insert or strainer.
• Collapsible streaming baskets are specially versatile, since they open flat for use in a skillet, or fold to fit any size saucepan.
• If bamboo rack is used, cheesecloth or parchment paper will prevent fish or meat from sticking. Bamboo rack fits perfectly in a wok, but can be set into any larger size skillet. Enough to hold it easily.
Enjoy cooking foods with this easy tips!