This way of presenting stuffed cabbage takes a simple meal and elevates it to something very special.
- 1/2 cup of marinara sauce plus extra for topping mold and plating
- 3/4 cup of grated romano or parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 head of savoy cabbage, it has pretty lacy leaves
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- 1 1/2 pound of good quality ground beef or turkey
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil
- fresh chopped basil and parsley, a small bunch of each
- salt and pepper
- Core and separate the leaves from the savoy cabbage, then cook them in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain, pat dry and set aside.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a deep souffle type dish and then arrange the prettiest and largest leaf on the bottom. Place another leaf on top of that and up the sides of the dish all around.
- In a large saute pan cook your meat until you see no pink, if it needs to be drained of added grease do so and set aside.
- Add olive oil to the pan and cook the onions, carrots, garlic and diced red pepper until soft, then toss it all together with the cooked meat.
- Add the grated cheese, marinara and fresh herbs, toss til well coated, let it cool then toss in the egg.
- Put your first layer down, about 1/2 inch then layer a cabbage leaf on top. Repeat until you reach the top or run out of filling.
- Finish with cabbage on top making sure to tuck it in the dish all around.
- Drizzle the top with olive oil, salt and pepper and a sprinkling of romano cheese all over.
- Bake at 350 for around 40 minutes.
- Let it rest then invert a serving plate over the souffle dish, then flip it over.
- Cut into slices and serve with additional warmed marinara and more grated cheese.