This traditional French meat pie is filled with a savory pork, beef, onion and spice filling, but with less sodium to conform to a renal diet plan. Using a prepared crust cuts down the time for an easy, no-fuss dinner.
• 1 lb lean ground pork
• 1 lblean ground beef
• ½ cup chopped onions
• ¼ teaspoon all spice powder
• ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
• ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 cup mashed potatoes
• 1 9-inch refrigerated pie shell, unbaked
• Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake pie shell according to package directions. Set aside when done.
• Cover bottom of a medium-sized skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Sautee onions for 2 to 3 minutes. Add ground beef and pork and cook until done, about 10-12 minutes. Drain off excess fat. Stir in nutmeg, allspice and black pepper.
• Place meat mixture in pie shell. Top with mashed potatoes, spreading evenly over meat mixture. Bake for 20 minutes until heated through and top
becomes lightly browned.