How can one resist the incomparable aroma of hot, freshly baked, homemade bread? Give in without worrying about unwanted calories. Try this delicious whole wheat bread together with your favorite spread.
1 envelope yeast
7 tablespoons lukewarm water
5 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon molasses
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup whole wheat
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons oats, for topping (optional)
* Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
* In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk and molasses. Let stand 10 minutes.
* In a second bowl, mix remaining ingredients except butter and oats. Fold into diluted yeast.
* Knead lightly. Add in butter. Knead for 5 minutes. Place in a bowl and cover with towel. Let rise for 1 hour.
* Punch down dough. Pour into loaf pan. Let dough rise to top of pan. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon flour and oats.
* Bake in oven 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven. Let it cool 10 minutes before removing from the pan.